Saturday, October 11, 2008

Shaikh Kno-wit-all Speaks!

A regular family vacation plan has descended into a contentious argument. Brother Maherbaan writes an e-mail to his family...

Dear Family,

Maybe we should vote to restart from scratch?

It seems like some members of the family are already satisfied with the menu...
So, it would not be fair to now start over...

On the other hand, if the process was flawed then the results were never valid...

I don't know how we got here... I am sooooo confused!

I know! lets go ask the Shaikh on how to move forward.

Maherbaan : Shaikh Kno-wit-all, I have a very serious problem.
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: What is the problem brother?

Maherbaan : We are planning a family vacation for Thanksgiving and.... well... now we have the whole family involved in fitna! I don't know what to do...
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Brother, fitna is a great sin... you must stop all discussion that leads to fitna...

Maherbaan : Shaikh, how do I do that?
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Brother, you must stop all discussions, talking is the way of the devil to lead people to mischief!

Maherbaan : Shaikh, but how will we know what everyone wants without asking them?
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Brother, you only need to get the menfolk to give their baiya...baiya means pledge... to you... as to women and children... remind them that they must obey their husbands.

Maherbaan : you don't know my family... our womenfolk have very strong opinions... they don't let the menfolk tell them what to do... don't you have some wisdom that might help to persuade my family to come together and agree
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Brother, your family is indeed in error! Subhanallah! a nation can never succeed if it is lead by a woman!

Maherbaan : but Shaikh, this is my family... we are not a nation!
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Brother, if the principle applies to a nation! then indeed it applies to a family!

Maherbaan : so Shaikh, let me get this straight. You want me to remind the womenfolk that they must obey their husbands or fathers, and you want me to get the menfolk to give me their power of attorney... Did I say that correctly...
Shaikh Kno-wi-tall: Not exactly, you must first determine who the amir is in this situation...

Maherbaan : amir, what is that?
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: That is the person who is in charge

Maherbaan : Oh Shaik, that would be Amma... my mother...
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Subhanallah! brother, you will have to change that! you cannot have a woman in charge!

Maherbaan : Shaikh, you don't understand... I don't think I can stand up to my mother... I don't feel well when she does not approve of my decisions... I need her to like what I decide...
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Brother, you don't need the approval of a woman... even if she is your mother...

Maherbaan : I don't!... I don't know Shaik... I am now even more confused... why don't you continue with the amir part...
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: As I was saying... You must first determine who the amir is in this situation... Brother, I suggest you select the oldest male member of your family as the amir...

Maherbaan : Why is that Shaikh?
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Well the oldest member has the most wisdom... you cannot help but gain wisdom with age...

Maherbaan : Shaikh, that would be my Father!
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Great! so remind everyone that your father is the amir... get the menfolk to give their pledge to your father... and have him make all the final decisions...

Maherbaan : so Shaikh, if I understand it correctly... you want me to get my father to make all the final decisions about the vacation... Is that correct?
Shaikh Kno-wit-all: Yes! brother... now you understand!

Maherbaan : OK... Thank you, Shaikh... I will tell my family...

So there you have it, family... The Shaikh has spoken... We must have Abbu decide what should be on the menu... who is going to make it... and when it should be served... by whom... I like it... this makes it easy... we can all just follow Abbu's advice... What do you guys think?

Write back soon...

No comments:

NOTE:

Please use the comments above to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous