Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Great News...

My dear Favorite Nephew and Niece from the Great State of our Next President,

Congratulations! This is great news... I was sooooo excited I decided to visit my Shaikh and share the happy news...

A visit with Shaikh Asaan-Nam...

Maherbaan: Peace be upon you Shaikh...
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Peace be upon you Maherban. You look very happy! what is the good news?

Maherbaan: How did you know I have good news?
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: I could tell by the smile on your face that you have some happy news to share...

Maherbaan: Shaikh, you are indeed wise... I do have some great news to share... My nephew is expecting his fourth child and he is not even 32 years old yet!
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Ma-Shal-la, that is indeed good news... how many wives does your nephew have?

Maherbaan: Just one Shaikh
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Just one? How long have they been married?

Maherbaan: They have been married for 10 years Shaikh... He was very young when he got married....
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Well that is not young... I was only 16 when I first got married... and by the time I was 32, I had 18 children with 3 wives... Your nephew seems to be taking his time building a family...

Maherbaan: But Shaikh, you lived in a different time... Most people can't afford to have so many children... and they can only afford one wife...
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Brother, have faith in Allah, he will provide for you and your family...

Maherbaan: You mean Shaikh, If I want another wife... Allah will provide me the means?
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: No the wife you have to pay for... but children are a gift from Allah... He will provide their sustenance...

Maherbaan: Too bad Shaikh, for a moment I was really excited... So Allah will provide for the children...
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Yes if you have faith and nurture your children in the best way...

Maherbaan: Shaikh, what is the best way to nurture a child?
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Excellent question, Brother Maherban. It starts with the name you give your child.

Maherbaan: Shaikh, It starts with a name?
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Yes Maherban, it starts with naming the child. What is the name of your Nephews, first child?

Maherbaan: Shaikh, his name is Averroes; he is named after the famous Ibn Rushud
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Which one the grandfather or the grandson?

Maherbaan: Shaikh, the grandson, the one who wrote the famous book "Incoherence of the Incoherence" a rebuttal to the book written by Al Ghazali "Incoherence of the Philosophers"
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Indeed your nephew already understands the first principle of good nurturing. He has given his son a great name. How did he come up with that name?

Maherbaan: I am not sure Shaikh, I think his wife had something to do with the name... although I am not sure how he came up with it... I know he does not like to read books... so it must have been his wife...
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Well he is lucky to have a wife who is well-read... What are the names of his other children?

Maherbaan: The name of his daughter is Eden-Marwa and his youngest son is called Caesar-Jibrael.
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Ma-Shal-la, Indeed your Nephew and his wife seem to have spent some time coming up with names that are truly excellent… They will have a tough time coming up with a better name than those…
Maherbaan: Shaikh, I never thought of it that way… but you are correct; they have indeed named their children with some excellent names… Although, I have to confess, I don’t understand what they were thinking when they named their last child Caesar-Jibrael. Does it mean they think that Caesar will be an Angelic Leader? That almost seems like a contradiction. As a leader, you have to make some tough decisions that will not seem very nice… Or does it mean that Caesar will be guided by Allah?
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: No. No. Brother, Maherban, just when I think you are close to gaining some wisdom, you remind me why you are still a student. The name Caesar-Jibrael is a homage to the ideal leader… A name is intended to give the person being named a reputation of some ideal. Indeed your Nephew and his wife seem to be saying that should Caesar decide to become a leader that his middle name should guide him to seek Allah for guidance.

Maherbaan: But Shaikh, Jibrael was the Servant of Allah that gave the Message to the prophet… Does that mean they think Caesar will receive his guidance from Allah through one of his servants?
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: The Seal of the Prophets has already come… Allah’s guidance is now found through knowledge and through the use of correct reason. Jibrael is intended to be a metaphor for Religious knowledge gained through effort studying the Quran and the Sunnah, as well as the great works of other scholars and the use of correct reasoning. In addition, knowledge is not just limited to religious knowledge. To truly receive Allah’s guidance, you have to seek his signs that can be found in nature and the story of bygone people. This knowledge is gained through the study of sciences, history and social conditions. Clearly, your Nephew’s wife must be well-read and understands that by giving this great name to her 3rd child, she is giving him a reputation to achieve greatness.

Maherbaan: So what you are saying Shaikh, is that a name should give a person a reputation to live up to…What if the child decides he does not like the reputation his or her parents chose for them. What should they do?
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: A Child when they grow up can always give themselves a new name. But they should try to honor the name their parents gave them…

Maherbaan: So I agree with you Shaikh, my Nephew will have a tough time coming up with a new name for his fourth child. The first three names are so excellent that the fourth one is bound to disappoint.
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Brother Maherban, Allah has granted us with the bounty of time… Indeed, as good as the names of their first three children are… there are plenty of good names left from history. If they choose to follow the path of their first child, then there are plenty of noteworthy scholars from the Muslim world. You can find their biographies at http://www.muslimheritage.com/. If they choose to follow the example of the 3rd child, then there are many virtues that provide great names.

Maherbaan: I noticed you did not comment on his daughter’s name. How would you characterize her name?
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: Well I have not seen her but she must be a very special and beautiful child. Her name clearly says that she is Heavenly. Indeed her parents must feel like they have found Heaven on earth when they are in her company.

Maherbaan: Shaikh, you have given me a whole new perspective of my grand-nephews and grand-niece. I can’t wait to see them and get to know them.
Shaikh Asaan-Nam: You are very fortunate to have such a great Nephew and he is clearly very lucky to have such a thoughtful wife… Don’t bother coming back if you don’t take some pictures with this wonderful family.

Well, there you have it, My Nephew… I sure hope you make it to our family vacation… or I will be in hot water with the Shaikh…

Also, I think we should all think about how we can help My Nephew and his wife with some Awesome names… They carry a very large burden indeed… I am willing to put some money on the table for the person that comes up with the name which my Nephew and my Niece Approve.

What do you say, my Nephew? Should we hold a CONTEST?

No comments:

NOTE:

Please use the comments above to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous